Monday, October 17, 2011

Held at Coupon Gunpoint

Thanks (but no thanks) to the outrageously popular TLC television show, Extreme Couponing, we're on freaking coupon overload at the grocery store. HIGH ALERT, PEOPLE! It's funny though, because what people actually DON'T learn from this show is how to coupon the right (and legal) way. I mean, it's like they think that we won't notice if they are trying to use 3 coupons to every 1 item they buy. Like we won't notice, and call them out, while they try to use coupons on things they DIDN'T buy! Some of these couponers are crazy lunatics, too! There are times when I fear for my life as I exit work... are they out by my car? Watching... waiting for me because I wouldn't let them scam the system?

It's really a shame that the bad couponers give them all a bad name. There are some great, smart and enjoyable couponers that do things the right way! I really encourage and admire them for saving a bagillion dollars the RIGHT way! I don't care if they have 100 coupons for Kraft BBQ sauce... as long as they buy 100 bottles of it!

Tonight at work, my CSM and I literally got bullied by a 70-something year old man because we wouldn't participate in coupon fraud for him. He had 4 coupons for $1.50 off of a 3-pack pouch of Beechnut chewing tobacco. In a carton there are 4  3-packs (total 12 individual packs). He wanted to use all 4 of those coupons and still get the tobacco at carton price. Carton price is considered a single item, I can't scan 4 coupons for one single item. That would be 3 coupons at $1.50 a pop that I would have to override and in turn, we wouldn't get credit for. I'm sorry- either buy them separately or settle for $1.50 off of a carton. Deal or no deal, Howie. This old turd got in my face and said that cashiers at my store have done it before for him and I'm going to do it for him tonight if I like it or not. "All the other cashiers do this for me every time I come in, it's been honored before, you WILL do it tonight with no exception!!!!" he said. Excuse me? I felt like I was being robbed... except he didn't have a gun (I don't think) and he didn't want all my cash. He just wanted me to use his damn coupons! He demanded me to call my manager to the front. Gladly! She comes up, I begin to tell her what the sitch is- he interrupts me and gets in her face, demanding! Her response? Same as mine... duh. Then he told us to call our store manager and "get him out of bed" so he could override us. I don't think so! Who do you think you are pops? I have never felt SO threatened by an elderly man in my entire life. Before he left, he told us that his wife spends $200 a week in our store (for an elderly couple... highly doubtful) and that we have just lost ALL of their business. To be quite honest, I have never seen that man in my life. I have no idea who his wife is?! And lastly, I don't care if you spend $1,000 in my store a week- I still never want to see you again! You scared little grocery girl! Go pick on somebody your own size... jerk! He asked what my CSM's name was, so I took it upon myself to write down her name on a piece of paper for him. He lost the battle and guess what?... He's gonna lose the war too! I mean, what's he gonna do? Call corporate and complain? "Uh yes, your store in Small Town, USA was following your coupon policy and wouldn't scan my coupons that would have put your company in a debt of $4.50 for my satisfaction." Haha, sorry pee-paw! Can't WAIT to see you again :-/  (or not).

So, folks... I beg of you. If you're going to coupon, please do your homework. Research each individual store's coupon policy, research what is "coupon legal" and what is "coupon fraud." And most importantly- be niiiiiiice to your little grocery girl. She isn't picking on you by not taking your coupons. She could just lose her job if she deducts money off of your transaction fraudulently via coupons. It's nothing personal... we just like having a job!
 

3 comments:

  1. As a wife of a grocery store manager, I thank you for NOT calling your manager and getting him/her out of bed!

    I have heard these type of stories, and they are crazy!

    I had a coupon recently that wouldn't scan, and the CSM treated me like I was a criminal. I only had about 4 coupons total.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked in a supermarket for almost six years, so I like to think that I know how to use coupons properly yet I almost always have a cashier treat me as though I am doing something wrong.

    I think it's nuts that people try to commit fraud. There are ways to get things cheap without cheating to achieve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO Sorry you have to deal with that! I promise all couponers are not that way and SO happy to hear you say you know that!

    p.s. I would LOVE to contact you but I don't see any contact info- could you email me at jessie@moolasavingmom.com? You can see my site at www.moolasavingmom.com I think you'd make a Great guest poster :)

    ReplyDelete

Voice your opinion, I can take it!